Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Juice of youth

Ever since I turned 30, I started pay attention on how to take care of myself. Whether it be going to the Korean spa and get completely pampered or choosing more high end skin products, I care about how to slow down the aging process in my body.

I observe, if I have time, how those who look younger than their age take care of themselves. Other time I just ask what their secretes are.

The more I ask around the more I believe that to look young for longer, it should be a life style thing, not how much you spend on the bottles behind the mirror on your wall. So here are a few answers that I got and would also believe in.

1. Eat small and early dinners

One of my aunts from Taiwan is 62. From Asian standard she looks like early 40's; from a general standard she still might get her ID checked for drinking. She is active and enjoys hiking. But that's not the answer she gave me when asked how to look so young. "Eat all you want for breakfast and lunch, but keep your dinner small and eat it early," she told me "nothing greasy, mostly vegetables and finish before 8pm." Sounds so impossible to me...I sometimes don't start cooking till 9pm!

But sometimes when I had a big dinner right before bed, I usually woke up very tired. The organs in our body are supposed to rest while we sleep. Going to bed when there's still food in our digestion system means the food either sit your stomach long enough for it to go bad, or you over work your internal labors.

Having early dinners also help with regular bowel movements. If you finished all your food before 8pm, the time your food goes through all the routes it's supposed to visit, it should exit first thing in the morning. You don't keep waste inside for any extra time. Clean and efficient.

2. Drink a glass of honey water first thing in the morning

A good friend of mine told me about this trick. I don't know how old she is but her son is 26, doing his residency and ready to be a doctor. She has been drinking a glass of warm honey water in the morning for 6 years now. Her skin is flawless - even skin tone and not even small wrinkles. The texture looks plump and smooth. My skin looks like that when I was 9!

She said to dissolve a small spoonful of honey in a glass of warm water every morning. Drink the honey water after brushing your teeth, and go on with your day.

She didn't explain her secret. Many times when Chinese people tell me some secrets to health or beauty, they usually don't explain too much. These are probably wisdom passed on from generations. So I looked it up and see if it makes sense.

A significant portion of honey is fructose and glucose, both can be very quickly transformed into energy. It also contains vitamin B complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Zinc. Sweet goodness of the small spoonful of honey is so much better than taking the multi vitamin tablet that gets stuck in your throat 50% of the time and reeks foul protein smell.

Dissolving honey in warm, instead of hot, water keeps the natural enzyme active. A glass of warm water is also recommended for regular bowel activity. Both of these answers suggest that kids should be dropped in the pools early in the morning to keep detoxed and looking young.





No comments:

Post a Comment