Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Brussel Sprouts Braised with Soy Sauce

Brussel sprouts are a very new veggie to me. Before I came to the States few years ago, I was completely unfamiliar with these tiny cabbage looking "sprouts." Over the years I've learned to enjoy this nutrients-packed vegetable in different ways. The recipe I am showing today was created with my Asian instinct - soy sauce.

I wanted to use soy sauce because Brussel sprouts seem to me as more difficult to season, especially I like keep them in halves and enjoy the symmetrical patter on their cut sides. Plus, soy sauce goes well with everything. (Like cheese!)



Ingredients:

handful of Brussel sprouts. Stem and outer leaves removed and cleaned.
half tablespoon of oil
one tablespoon of soy sauce
one teaspoon of sugar
two tablespoon of water

Heat the pan with oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, stir in Brussel sprouts in the pan and coat all halves with oil. When the temperature in the pan returns high, add soy sauce and sugar and mix well. Add water and cover the pan with a lid for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and turn up the heat to make excess liquid evaporates.
Ready to serve!

Toasted pine nuts work great here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment